Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chickpea and Leek Soup

Here we are at the end of the Australian Winter, and I readily admit that it is soup that has helped me stick to my eating plan in the colder weather! Sure, cravings come and go but it is soup that sustains me and gives me the energy I need to get through the day... this one is a keeper, it is silky and satisfying with lots of leek and garlic flavour...

INGREDIENTS
1 x can of chickpeas, drained
1/2 a large sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 leeks (white bit only, finely sliced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
small knob of butter (less than 20g)
2 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper
4 cups of chicken stock
handful of parmesan (I use grana padano)
1 x cooked chicken breast, shredded
Serves 6

METHOD
- Place chickpeas and sweet potato in a medium saucepan, cover with water, cook for 20min
- Heat a large saucepan, add oil and butter over medium heat
- Add leeks, garlic and a pinch of salt to the saucepan, cook 5-6 minutes until tender
- Add drained chickpeas and sweetpotato, cook for 1 minute
- Add 3 cups of stock and simmer for 15 minutes

- Using a handheld stick blender puree some of the mixture so it is smooth, but be sure to leave some chucks and whole chickpeas for texture
- Add remaining stock, throw in the shredded chicken and heat
- Stir through parmesan and serve

Adapted from: Jamie Oliver, 'The Naked Chef' Penguin Group, 1999