Saturday, July 26, 2014

No Sugar, High Protein Lemon and Blueberry Cake Slice

After I had my little one my Mother-In-Law made me this Blueberry and Yoghurt Loaf by Donna Hay, and I was obsessed with it!
Here is my adaptation of the recipe to make it more healthful for me - I have to say this smells gorgeous while it is baking. It also forms a lovely glossy crust once cooked and the greek yoghurt give the texture a softness, I'd say it is my most successful sugar-free baked treat to date!


INGREDIENTS
1.5 Cups of Protein Pancake Mix
2 punnets blueberries
1/2 cup sultanas
handful of craisins (Optional, I just had some in the pantry so thought I would try)
1/2 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup flaked almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup hazlenut meal (or just whiz hazlenuts using a handheld food processor)
4 eggs
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup greek yoghurt
3/4 cup milk (or substitute of your choice)
1 tablespoon of lemon rind
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

METHOD
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- Line a lamington tin with greaseproof paper
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, yoghurt, milk, vanilla and lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients together in one bowl
- Pour mixture into lined lamington tin
- Bake at 160 degrees for 20min, then turn oven up to 180 degrees, bake for a further 35min
- Allow to cool in tin resting on a wire rack, once cool cut into squares and enjoy!

These also benefit from 20sec of warming up in the microwave if eaten after baking day.
Fine for freezing, too - again, just warm up in microwave and munch away!