Sunday, May 16, 2010

Chilli Beef

This recipe has become a staple of our little household, enough to eat once a week and freeze the rest for the next, I have been cooking this for a few years... it's my go-to recipe to get me back on track when my nutrition has slipped!

INGREDIENTS
Olive oil spray
1 onion, chopped
1 chilli, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
500g mince (I choose Heartsmart Organic mince, I also hear Woolworths preium mince is lower in fat, according to CHOICE magazine)
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
400g red kidney beans, rinsed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
salt and pepper
Bocconcini cheese (I eat with 5 x bambini sized)
Baby spinach leaves or steamed vegetables to serve

METHOD
1. Cook onion, chilli, garlic in oil for 2 min
2. Add mince, cook for 5 min, drain off excess oil
3. Add tins of chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, ground coriander
4. Simmer as long as you like (5 minutes minimum)
5. Serve n steamed vegetables or bed of spinach leaves, garnish with bocconcini

NUMBERS (Approx per serve, without bocconcini or vegetables)

Carbs: 20.5
Protein: 44.2
Fat: 9.4

From Donna Hay Issue 26 March/April 2006

Mark's favourite!!! xxx