Sunday, May 16, 2010

Stewed Rhubarb and Custard

I have never cooked rhubarb until recently, never. I remember my mother cooking it when I was small and I wondered what the fuss was about, I never really bothered with it. This recipe is not fantastic if you are watching your weight, but I figure it sure as hell beats reaching for the chocolate cake or pastry, like I once would have done! Furthermore, I have made this with wild honey, courtesy of my friend Jesse and Amanda's backyard beehive in Islington, Newcastle. It IS delicious!


INGREDIENTS
1 x bunch of rhubarb, sliced into 3-5cm pieces (a bunch is approx 5 sticks)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup wild honey
1 tsp vanilla
3 x cardamom pods
1 x tsp grated lemon rind

METHOD
1. Place rhubarb, water, honey, vanilla and cardamom in saucepan.
2. Mix well and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20min.
3. Take off heat and remove cardamom pods and stir through lemon rind.
4. You can add some extra honey if you like at this point, depending on how sweet or tart you like the rhubarb to taste.
5. Serve with lite custard or low fat organic yoghurt. Yummy!

NUMBERS (Approx)

Stewed Rhubarb with honey (70g Serving)
Carbs: 10.8g
Protein: 0.8g
Fat: 0.1g
Fibre: 1.7g

Dairy Farmers Lite Pouring Custard (100g serving)
Carbs: 13.8
Protein: 3g
Fat: 0.9g

Barambah Organics Low Fat Natural Yoghurt (50g serving)
Carbs: 2.4
Protein: 2.95g
Fat: 0.1g

Obviously, the yoghurt is the go but sometimes you just gotta have custard!