Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spring Vegetable Soup

An oldie but a goodie! Especially good for when you have been sick, or naughty with the food like I have this weekend (ok, it was my sister's 30th!) I usually poach some chicken and add for some protein. You can also add some milled flaxseed just before serving (I usually add about a tablespoon) for some much-needed fibre!

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil (I use garlic oil)
1/2 cup sliced leeks (white part only)
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced sweet potato
1/3 cup diced turnip
4 cups vegetable stock
salt, pepper
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
1/3 cup diced zucchini
1/3 cup chopped green beans
1 peeled and chopped tomato
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup parsley, chopped

METHOD
Heat oil, add leek, celery, potato and turnip, cook stirring for 5 min.
Add vegetable stock, salt and pepper, bring to boil.
Lower heat and add remaining ingredients, simmer for 5 min.
Top with chopped parsley.

From: Bill Granger: bills SYDNEY FOOD, Murdoch Books 2004.