Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kapai Puku - The Seed of Life

I was in Harris Farm the other week and as usual there were loads of food samples to try (this is certainly what gets Mark through the door!) I normally avoid all of the free cheeses and breads, but I enjoyed tasting a yoghurt sample with these 'Kapai Puku' seeds mixed in.

Well I enjoyed it so much I bought a pack of these seeds - and they were 15 bucks, for a while I was worried I had been ripped off! But they have proven to be so versatile, and I've really enjoyed mixing them in yoghurt, adding to cereal, even omelettes or stewed fruit.

Then I double checked the numbers and I realised just how great these seeds are!

Some of the benefits of this product include:
* Rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid.
* Rich in fibre
* Contains silica – that is essential for healthy smooth supple skin, healthy hair and strong nails. Silica is present in almost every tissue of the body and is essential for cell growth.
* Contains B Complex vitamins (B1 – Thiamine, B2 – Riboflavin, B3 – Niacin, B6 – Pyridoxine) are extremely important for the health of the nervous system. They are not stored in the body in any great quantity and need to be supplied daily by the diet.
* An excellent source of vitamin E, the body’s primary fat-soluble antioxidant, neutralizing free radicals that would otherwise damage fat-containing structures and molecules, (eg. cell membranes, brain cells, and cholesterol).
* High in Zinc, Calcium, and Phosphorus.

NUMBERS (per 50g serve)
Protein 8.2g
Fat 13.3g (saturated 1.7g)
Carbs 18.9g
Fibre 8.4g

You can also order the product online.