Saturday, June 5, 2010

Stewed apple

It's that time of year, well for me anyway, where I feel all my food should be warm. So the cereal has taken a back seat for now, and I am enjoying weight watchers porridge some mornings.

The perfect accompaniment to this is some stewed fruit, which I really enjoy making weekly and keeping in the fridge - it's there to dive into at any time.

There are lots of unhealthy recipes out there for stewing apples (lots of sugar!), but I think I have found a good one:

INGREDIENTS
4 large apples, peeled, cored, chopped
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger (or minced ginger if you have it)
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp good vanilla extract or seeds from 1/2 a vanilla pod

METHOD
Place all of the ingredients in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to combine, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or till apples are as soft as you like them.

I really like these serving ideas I found at a website called 'Venus Envy Training' as well:

- sprinkle 2 tbsp low fat granola on top
- drizzle 1/2 container low fat, fruit-juice sweetened vanilla yogurt over top
- serve warm on top of low fat vanilla frozen yogurt or soy ice cream
- add some chopped onion and curry powder and nix the honey for a delicious chutney-like chicken topping

I'll be making this recipe with variations weekly, this recipe really is so easy, it's something you can adapt to your own taste and ingredients. Enjoy!