Sunday, June 6, 2010

Pea and ham soup


I've been sick with a cold today, and as a teacher in my other life, I've been writing my half-yearly reports. It's lovely to have something bubbling away on the stove as I work away (well, it's also something to distract me every 15 minutes!)
Mark ran up the shops and got me my ham hock, now the lovely smoky smell is drifting through our little apartment, I'm feeling a little better already!

INGREDIENTS
500g packet dried green split peas (Mark picked yellow today and these are fine too.)
4 cups (1L) chicken stock
500g ham hock
1 onion, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
salt and cracked black pepper
Approx 6-8 servings

METHOD
1. Place split peas in a sieve and run under cold water for a minute or until water turns clear. Set aside. Place stock, 2L water, ham hock, vegetables and split peas in a large saucepan. Cook soup over medium high heat for 1 1/2 hours, skimming the surface occasionally to remove any foam. Remove from heat. Remove ham hock from the soup and set aside for 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile blend the soup with a hand-held blender until pureed. Remove fat from ham hock, shred meat roughly and return to the soup. Serve with crusty bread.

NUMBERS (very approx, per serve)
Protein: 28.5g
Fat: 6.86g
Carbohydrates: 33g

Adapted from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16169/pea+and+ham+soup